Call for papers: Conference by Women in Philosophy (Groningen, NL)
The 6th annual Conference by Women in Philosophy will take place on 24 June at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG). The goal of the conference is to provide a platform for graduate and undergraduate women philosophers to present their work to peers. In this way we hope to create an opportunity for young women philosophers to inspire and motivate one another and to forge potentially productive alliances. The conference features a plenary discussion with a keynote speaker (t.b.a.).
In the Netherlands, like in the rest of the world, women are underrepresented in academic philosophy. Being young women ourselves, we want to challenge this situation – whilst being aware of the fact that the marginal positioning of women in philosophy also depends on factors other than their sex, like ethnicity, religion, social status, age, disability or sexual orientation. We are committed to creating a more balanced environment and to empowering (those identifying as) women to make the academic space their own.
We therefore invite (those identifying as) women philosophers (BA, MA, PhD, recent alumnae) to send in abstracts for paper presentations in any area of philosophy. We will accept a maximum of approximately 20 papers. If you’re a supervisor, please encourage your students to react to our call. Also feel free to distribute the call through any suitable channels that you may know.
- Deadline: 18 March 2019
- Word limit: 500 words
- Prepare your abstract for blind review (your abstract should be anonymous).
- Abstract and personal information can be submitted here: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cwip2019
- Take into account that you are expected to hand in a paper before the conference, so that your respondent may read it. The deadline will be communicated to accepted presenters. (Working papers and student papers are eligible)
- Abstracts may be written in English or Dutch.
- Abstracts may not have been published before: one of our goals is to give meaningful feedback by respondents on work in progress
Each presenter will have 20 minutes to present her paper and there will be a respondent for each paper. The expected conference fee is €10. Everyone is welcome to attend the conference. The conference is organized by philosophy students and PhD candidates from several universities in the Netherlands and Belgium.